Monday, April 22, 2013

exploration 10 (make up)

“There will be a moment in time when whole genome sequencing becomes ubiquitous throughout health care,” said Peter Tonellato, director of the Harvard personalized medicine lab and a clinical investigator in pathology at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. “Let’s say we figure out all the individuals who might have a cancer, and we can predict that with a relatively high level of accuracy. Then presumably we can take steps to avoid those, let’s say, decades of treatment.”

I did exploration ten on a very interesting subject that involves gene maping to better help treat cancer patients. what struck me as most important is that the advancement in technology allows us to do these kind of things with medicen. I think it is crazy that we have come so far with technology that soon we will be able to predict who will develop cancer when they are older so that we can start proactive treatment over decades to help prevent the cancer that is almost surley going to grow. This bit of information is very valuble and important to me because I had a friend when I was a little kid who died of cancer in the fifth grade. His name was Andrew and he was one of the most amazing kids I have ever met. If there is anything that our society can do to prevent cancer than I think we should keep progressing towards that goal so that we can prevent cancer in amazing young kids like Andrew.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/22/health/patients-genes-seen-as-future-of-cancer-care.html?src=me

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/22/how-therapy-can-help-in-the-golden-years/?ref=science

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/22/how-therapy-can-help-in-the-golden-years/?ref=science

No comments:

Post a Comment