Monday, April 22, 2013

Final revised exploration


Exploration 10 (Revision)
            I chose to revise and read out my Exploration 10. When looking back at all of my other explorations, this one really stood out to me. In this one where we had to find an interesting article online and write about it. I just remember this article being very appealing and relatable to me.
Scrolling through the website I discovered, "The Stories That Bind Us". I found it under the ‘most emailed stories’ section. I thought it was a really important article and was really useful for families today. The author, Bruce Feiler, spoke about how he could see his family was falling apart all around him. He decided to look into why. He found an emerging theme that families need to develop a strong family narrative. He got the idea from Marshall Duke, a psychologist at Emory University. They discovered that if children know about their family and their history than they will be more confident and able to handle tough situations. They decided to look deeper into this. They developed a serious of 20 questions to ask kids. The questions would be, ‘where did your grandparents grow up’ or ‘where did your mom and dad go to high school’? Honestly, I thought it was pretty funny, because I tried to answer these questions and I could not answer most of them. I thought this is probably true with a lot of kids these days. Nowadays, society is moving so fast, everyone is so focused on himself or herself, that I do not think kids sit down and learn about their families. Dr. Duke said, “The bottom line: if you want a happier family, create, refine and retell the story of your family’s positive moments and your ability to bounce back from the difficult ones.” This knowledge is valuable for one to have. The more kids know, the better they are at facing challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment