Thursday, March 21, 2013

Exploration 10

One article I found very interesting was "The Stories That Bind Us". I found it under the most emailed stories section. I thought it was a really important article and really was useful for families today. The author, Bruce Feiler, spoke about how his family was falling apart all around him. He decided to look into why. He found an emerging theme that was families need to develop a strong family narrative. He got the idea from Marshall Duke, a psychologist at Emory University. They discovered that if children know about their family and their history than they will be more confident and able to handle tough situations. They decided to look into and developed a serious of 20 questions to kids. They would be like where did your grandparents grow up, or where did your mom and dad go to high school? I thought it was funny, I even tried to answer these questions myself and I couldn't answer them all. I thought this is probably true with a lot of kids these days. Nowadays, society is moving so fast, everyone is so focused on themselves, that I do not think kids sit down and learn about their families. I think that this knowledge is valuable for one to have. Dr. Duke realized that "the “Do You Know?” scale turned out to be the best single predictor of children’s emotional health and happiness". They saw that the more kids knew, the better they were at facing challenges.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/fashion/the-family-stories-that-bind-us-this-life.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&src=me&adxnnlx=1363878045-myg9wsNShLgoRhUH1qh28w

I wanted to get a picture of the family off Modern Family. It is a great show and it really shows what families are like today. They are not the typical family, but who is nowadays?

World: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/world/asia/south-korea-computer-network-crashes.html?ref=world

Science: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/health/altered-t-cell-therapy-shows-promise-for-acute-leukemia.html?ref=science

Technology: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/fashion/jay-parkinson-the-doctor-is-in-well-logged-in.html?ref=technology&_r=0

2 comments:

  1. So true, unfortunately. I took a look at the examples of questions they ask the kids in the article and I'm embarrassed to say I only scored a 2 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is really interesting but i found that in my family, since I come from different cultures, that it was a bit easier to answer these questions. I don't know if it is just me, but my family takes a lot of pride in knowing not only where we come from but also where our ancestors did.

    ReplyDelete