Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Ain't Scared of Your Jails

The civil rights movement that overtook the 50's and 60's was a such an empowering period of time that taught people the value of equality between blacks and whites. A big thing that stood out to me in the film was at the very beginning when they were doing the sit-ins at the local restaurants. It's crazy for me to think that it all led back to simple sit-ins with black college students from Fisk University. That was so incredibly brave of those students to go out there knowing they will be arrested as every group before them did. The non-violent direct action they used during the civil rights was very brave as well. I personally don't think i would have had that kind of strength.

1 comment:

  1. If I were able to participate in a sit-in, I do not think I would be able to remain non-violent. If someone was punishing me for helping other people, I can promise I would fight back. It is easy to fight back, though, so these people have more discipline than I do!

    ReplyDelete